Last year for the month of September I shared a picture and childhood cancer fact every day for the month of September. This year, I feel like I'm kind of "over" that. If we're in the the same social media circles, you are "aware" of childhood cancer. Unless you've already hidden me or blocked me or unfollowed me, you've already seen the facts. You've seen the pictures. I'm preaching to the choir. But I'm not done. Not by a long shot. I'm just ready to do more than "spread awareness." I want to spur my friends into action.
First, I want you to go ahead and take a few minutes to read this post. ( < - Click there. ) Go ahead... I'll wait.
Are you fired up and ready to help, but just don't know where to start? Here are just a few suggestions:
- Walk: Visit curesearchwalk.org to find a CureSearch walk near you. Start or join a team, and walk to raise money and awareness for research.
"CureSearch for Children's Cancer funds and supports targeted and innovative children's cancer research with measurable results, and is the authoritative source of information and resources for all those affected by children's cancer." (curesearch.org)
- Shave: Feeling brave? Go bald for the kids! I shaved my head two years in a row for the St. Baldrick's foundation and it was a wonderful feeling. Plus, I became a walking, talking billboard for childhood cancer!
"St. Baldrick's donors and volunteers have enabled the foundation to fund over $103 million in grants, allowing the foundation to fund more in childhood cancer research grants than any other oraganization except the U.S. government. Every grant goes through a rigorous scientific review process, ensuring every dollar has the greatest possible impact for children with cancer." (stbaldricks.org)
- Sell Lemonade: Whaaa? You read that right. You could set up a lemonade stand and donate the profits to Alex's Lemonade Stand Foundation!
"The concept of 'fighting childhood cancer, one cup at a time' has allowed people who would not ususally participate in fundraising, especially children, to raise money and awareness for childhood cancer. Lemonade Stands allow children to be a part of the change." (alexslemonade.org)
- Donate: Have a few bucks to spare? Donate to any of the above foundations or keep reading for more opportunities to help. No donation is too small!
How Are We Taking Action?
- As mentioned in my last post we held Sam Jam to raise money for CureSearch. The event raised $8,063! We had a huge turn out from our community and I was able to speak a little bit about childhood cancer and our lives.
- On September 14th we are participating in the Louisville CureSearch Walk event. Our team goal was $10,000 (the Sam Jam money goes toward that.) and as of tonight we have SURPASSED that goal!
- We have a few other fundraisers coming down the pipe that are still in the planning stages. These will be online and (hopefully) here in our local schools!
I truly hope that you're inspired to take action against childhood cancer this month and every month of the year. Please let me know if you do, I'd love to hear about it!
Lots of Links
- To donate to our Team Sam Jam in the CureSearch Walk team click here.
- To shop our Scentsy fundraiser (ending Sept. 9th) click here. Beth Chupp is donating 100% of her commission to Team Sam Jam
- To shop our 31 fundraiser (ending Sept. 7th) click here. My friend Eden is also donating her commission to Team Sam Jam.
- To purchase a childhood cancer awareness car decal click here. My friend Danielle is donating $2 from the purchase of each decal to CureSearch for the month of September.